Friday, August 20, 2010

Long Run Sunday & a Broken Toe

It looks like our long run will take place on Saturday instead.  We're heading out to Birdshill Park for our first Try a Trail.  It will be 22 km (going by memory so this may not be entirely accurate).  Come out and join us if you are in the mood for a trail.

 I broke my toe yesterday.  And it wasn't while I was running either.  Of all the terrain we have run on, I find it amusing that this injury occurred in the safety of my own home.  I think there is a lesson there somewhere.  The Dr. told me not to run on it for at least a couple of weeks.  Naturally, I went straight home and googled "running with broken toe" and decided if others have done it then maybe I can get away with it too. The following are a few things I learned  during my trial run today:
1) Running shoes and regular shoes are painful, but swim shoes are not ( yippee!).
2)  having a good splint is mandatory.
3) Running on cement is less painful than running in grass.
4) If the pain becomes unbearable, stop running.
I'm not endorsing running with a broken toe.  These are just my thoughts on my experience.  Sooner or later we were going to have to add an 'Injury' category anyway.

Gail

2 comments:

  1. hmmmmm, so there may be someone out there slow enough to run with me after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found out it is only a 12 km run, but we will be finding more trails after we finish, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete