Sunday, June 5, 2011

Journey of 1,000 Barefoot Miles - Week Ending June 5th, 2011

All I have to say is WOOT, WOOT!!!

It took a little longer than I originally anticipated, and it was really starting to make me think my goal was a little crazy. But, I finally passed the big 200 (miles that is), this was my first benchmark hurdle that I had set for myself. I had planned on having this originally done by last weekend (end of May), but between weather, health and just plain life, it was starting to look like a mountain instead of a mole hill.

That being said it is now done, 200 down and only 800 (minus a few) to go. Hopefully all my trials and tribulations are out of the way as well.

It has been a very crazy year so far, late spring, then winter again, unseasonably weird weather all around, even a tornado or two around the city. Health issues including strained muscles, my first official barefoot injury and migraines from h-e-double hockey sticks (more on the last two later.) Oh, and before I forget to mention it:


NHL Hockey is back in Winnipeg, baby!!!!
(Yes, I am a big hockey fan, hmmm barefoot hockey, I wonder?)

Anyway enough of that, time to move on and here are the updates for the week that was:

Monday, May 30, 2011

Barefoot: 2.25 miles

Vibrams: 0.00

Total: 2.25 miles

I really wasn't sure this run was going to happen, earlier in the day, I left work with a migraine (darn changing weather patterns). I used to be plagued with these years ago due to work stress and weather changes, but since I started running, I have been getting less and less (hmmm, who says running isn't therapeutic) of them. Anyway, after a quick catnap at home and popping of a Imitrix, I was feeling 100% better, so I figured the run would be a good thing. So off Nicole and I went for a night out without the kids.

This was another Monday night WH3 run, hosted by LF (SBI) and NB (PF) on a beautiful warm spring evening in the 'peg (how can you not love a rainy evening when you are barefoot). Our host hares set the trail with chalk of all things in the rain, so as you can imagine there really wasn't much of a trail left for us to follow. Though the majority of us being stubborn as we are, went out full tilt in search of it anyway. In short we lost the trail after the second turn, and had to wait for SBI to catch up so she could point us in the right direction. Once we were off again, the trail led straight thru a car wash (fancy that a car wash in the rain), and low and behold, it was closed. Not a good start, to our weekly adventure: a suspect trail and a detour around a part of the trail, but there was lots of puddles to go splashing through so that made up for it (at least for me!). Once we got going, all and all it was a good run, and lots of opportunity for us to chastise the two hares with our favorite little ditty, 'S****y Trail. Ahhh, the night was complete after some beer and catch up conversation with some friends we have not seen in a while.

Tuesday to Thursday June 1st to June 3rd, 2011

Barefoot: 0.00

Vibrams: 0.00

Total: 0.00

Well the migraine I mentioned on Monday, well it was back, and it was a doozer. I slept most of Tuesday, all of Wednesday and part of Thursday, before I felt well enough to drag my sorry butt into work to see what damage had been done or not done while I was away. Needless to say, running didn't even enter the equation. I missed 3 lunch runs and my Thursday night City Park run, at the time it just seemed that I was never going to ever get to 200 miles. I was a little dejected to say the least, and my concern that my migraines were returning as well didn't make matters any better. I just needed to run.

Saturday June 4, 2011

Barefoot: 10.50

Vibrams: 0.00

Total: 10.50

With Friday being a not possible to run day, I was really looking forward to Saturday. First my work out with my personal trainer (I cannot say enough good things about her, she has helped me increase my speed and my endurance way beyond what I thought i could achieve), then my much anticipated run with City Park Runners, boy did I need this.

Anyway, it was a great work out even with the issues i was having with my neck deciding it wanted to be involved in the workout (Carolyn tells me this is not a good thing), so I was limited to what I could do this week. Further to this, Carolyn was going to join me for the run this morning, well at least at the start until she leaves me in the dust, she is a unbelievable runner. I was running with my usual group, Julio and 5 great ladies for the planned 10km easy distance as we were suppose to start to taper for the Manitoba Marathon. I never really did understand this taper thing, I really don't think I run enough to make this really mean anything, at least not yet. So with this in mind, a few of us decided to keep going and get 10 miles in or so.

Moving at our standard pace, due to conversations being had, etc, we were having another great run. Until it happened (key the dramatic music), my first real barefoot injury happened. We were on our return trip when I stopped paying attention to the ground in front of me, and I missed the large raise in the asphalt. All of a sudden, the toe drag, my big toe scrapped the asphalt with a grind. It felt like I was raking my toe over a cheese grater, not pleasant. Needless to say, the bit of toe nail that I did have lost a little more, and the blood starting flowing. Oh well, war wound, a perfect example of why you need to keep a constant vigil on where you are going, you never know what is going to pop up in front of you. No worse for wear, other than a little blood, no lasting pain, so we carried on (I didn't even stop to check it out till we reached Misericordia for a quick water and washroom break). As per our habit we pick up to a quick pace with about a mile (almost a sprint to the finish line). Overall it was a great run, other than the little mishap with the toe.

Sunday June 5th, 2011

Barefoot: 3.25 miles / 3.31 miles / 5.45 miles

Vibrams: 0.00

Total: 12.01 miles

This was a very special day, as I was running a 5km race in support of 2 very good friends who have the unfortunate pleasure of living with a brain tumour. This was the 2011 Spring Sprint in support of the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada. One who has had to live with this condition for a number of years, and one who was just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. It is very scary to think that this condition could happen to anyone, at any time and without you knowing it until it is to late. Fortunately, my one friend had some very quick acting co-workers with him when he suddenly suffered a grand mal seizure at work. This was very lucky, as they quickly called an ambulance, and he spent the next few days in the hospital, it could of been a lot worse then it was if the quick actions were not there.

Needless to say, I was determined to do my part, so I set a goal for myself to fund raise $500.00 worth of pledges, and I am happy to say, I exceeded that with a total of $700.00. Thanks to everybody who helped along the way, it means a lot to me.

Now back to the numbers, as I have three separate mileage numbers listed, I mind as well as explain why.

The first was the 5 km race, which I am proud to say, I achieved my best barefoot time yet for this distance, and I shut it down a little early as well. I finished the 5 km in 26:30, which is a PB by over a minute barefoot and over 2:30 with my Vibrams. Now who says you go faster in shoes, all I have to say is PPPWWWEEEETTTT (that is suppose to be me sticking out my tongue, but it doesn't look right, oh well). So I think I might of shocked a few people as I bombed by them san shoe. I was also testing out my new contacts as well, definitely different and going to take some getting used too running in these. So I am thinking I might be able to go a little faster next time.

The second time was me turning around and going the other way, I decided I was having such a great run I felt like running 10km, so I u-turned and headed around the course in reverse. I was also trying to find Nicole and the kids as well but little did I know that they did not do the walk but went to the park instead, oh well. Anyway I think I confused a whole bunch of people that I passed on the way in, as I was passing them again going the other way. But I did get a whole lot of waves, and hi fives, and cool feet comments as I cruised through the ranks. I finished the run just under 30 minutes (29:45), so after pushing the earlier 5km I was very happy with that.

After finding the wife and kids, we made our way back to the pavilion to find out I also won a door prize, what a great day. From what I understand it was the most sought after door prize as well, because it was all Manitoba Moose team gear (our local AHL hockey team that will be now leaving for new digs next year), so really it could be considered collector's items and it really is some nice stuff.

The third number was a quick run i had after supper, because i really did not have enough, and I was determined to get to the magic number (yes that 200 again). I had some great mile lap times below 9:00 minutes, and I love running up Portage Avenue with my barefeet. The looks I get are priceless, but no comments tonight. Anyway, it was hot and humid so I decided to shut it down after 2 miles and just run a nice leisurely pace for the balance of the run.

So here is the damage for the week:

Week Total:

Barefoot: 24.76 miles

Vibrams: 0.00 miles

Total: 24.76 miles

Year to Date:

Barefoot: 202.65 miles

Vibrams: 71.26 miles

Total: 273.91 miles

Until Next Week,

It's a Great Day for A Run

(A tribute to Mike who I know can't wait to get back out there)

On, On

No comments:

Post a Comment